PASTA WITH ITALIAN TUNA, SNAP PEAS & LEMON, AND TOASTED BREAD CRUMBS
Toasted bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2- 10 ounce jar Italian Tuna in Olive Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 cups fresh snap peas (the smaller the better)
- Grated lemon zest and juice from one lemon
- 1 pound Vermicelli (I've tried other pasta shapes and this one is the best)
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat Italian parsley (fresh, not the dried that tastes like grass)
In a small pan warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and stir them constantly until browned.
Immediately transfer them onto a plate so that the steam can escape (otherwise the bread crumbs could become soggy). Transfer them into a bowl when cooled. While they are cooling….
Drain the oil out of the tuna into a 2-cup measure, add more olive oil to make 1 ¼ cup. Take the tuna out of the jar
and set aside. Put the olive oil in a large sauté pan and warm over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook slowly for
5 minutes; the shallots should be soft and slightly transparent. Add the capers, snap peas and tuna; cook slowly for 3 to 4 minutes; add the lemon zest and juice; remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
Cook the pasta until el dente; drain and toss the pasta with the sauce. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle on
the parsley. Serve with lots of toasted bread crumbs.