- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 quarts half-and-half
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 12 turns of a pepper grinder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cornmeal
- Pinch sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups freshly grated Pecorino Romano
Heat the oil and butter in a large, heavy stockpot. Add the garlic and sautée over low heat until it is golden. Add the
stock, half-and-half, 2 1/2 cups of water, salt and black and red peppers, and stir to combine. Raise the heat and
bring to a boil. Very slowly, add the cornmeal slowly, stirring constantly. Lower the heat to maintain a gentle boil.
After all the cornmeal has been added, continue to stir until it is thick and creamy, about 20 minutes.
Off the heat, stir in the sugar and Romano. Serve right away with fresh garden tomato sauce.